Local Area Information
Welcome to Ingleton a land of caves, rivers, waterfalls and mountains to see, walk and explore.
The village has all the amenities required for your stay, including four pubs that serve delicious meals, an Italian restaurant, Indian restaurant, two wine bars, cafes, fish and chip shop, newsagent, a small Co-op supermarket, a convenience store, an outdoor/caving shop with a climbing wall, bakers and a petrol filling station.
There are many attractions, events and activities for all ages in and around Ingleton. For the adventurous there is fell walking, climbing up magnificent Ingleborough or the Three Peaks Challenge of Pen-y-Ghent, Whernside and Ingleborough. There is also caving and pot-holing, exploring the regions many caves and pot-holes (caving equipment can be hired from the local caving shop).
Ingleton's Events and Activities include:
- Great Easter Egg Hunt. Where all the family can enjoy hunting for Easter eggs throughout the village.
- 1940's Homeguard Weekend. (During first week of July) A fabulous weekend when Ingleton is transformed into a 1940's village. Re-enactors in military uniform and vehicles from that wartime period 'occupy' the village. Watch and enjoy the music of that era, with dancing and singing in the village square and other venues in the village. Themed market stalls selling military and other memorabilia. All this and it is free.
- Overground Underground Festival. (Running from May to September) This offers a range of activities that the whole family can enjoy.
- Ingleton Open-Air Swimming Pool. The village has a splendid and fabulous heated outdoor public swimming pool for you to enjoy during the summer months. (There are not many public outdoor swimming pools left in this country.)
- Ingleton Waterfalls. These are magnificent and a must for any visitor. The Trail begins in the village and the four mile walk is relatively easy, though it is advisable to wear stout walking boots or shoes.
- White Scar Caves and Ingleborough Cave. If you are interested in going underground there are two spectacular show-caves situated on the outskirts of the village, The nearest is the renowned White Scar Caves, a guided tour through the cave provides a fascinating glimpse of the underground features and formations of the cave such as the marvellous stalactites and stalagmites.
- Fishing. For the keen angler there is trout fishing in the two rivers that run through Ingleton. Licences can be bought locally.
- Ribblehead Viaduct. For the railway enthusiast there is the famous Ribblehead Viaduct. Train tickets can be bought for the historic Settle to Carlisle Railway. Sit back on board the train and marvel at the spectacular views as your carriage crosses the wild moorland fells of the Pennines and awesome Victorian viaducts as you make your way to Carlisle.
Ingleton is situated on the Western Edge of the Yorkshire Dales where three counties meet, Yorkshire, Lancashire and Cumbria. Thus it is ideally placed not to just visit the Dales with it's pretty village's and historic towns.
Nearby towns and villages are:
- Hawes. A pretty small Dales town with quaint shops and its famous creamery producing the original and tasty Wensleydale Cheese.
- Kirkby Lonsdale. Just over the border into Cumbria, explore its many and varied shops. Take in the scenic Ruskin's View and of course walk down to Devil's Bridge which spans the River Lune.
- Settle. An attractive Dales town with lovely old buildings and a thriving market every Tuesday.
- Sedbergh. Another attractive Dales town set amongst the impressive Howgill Fells.
- Barbon. A small and pretty village nestling under Barbon Fell.
- Dent. With it's quaint cobbled streets, this village is set amongst impressive scenery and is well worth a visit.
Other nearby towns and areas to see and visit are;
- Kendal. Gateway to the Lakes.
- The picturesque Forest of Bowland.
- The beautiful Lake District.
- The historic City of Lancaster.
- The seaside resorts of Morecambe and Grange-over Sands.
Wherever and whatever you do Ingleton has got everything for a fabulous holiday.